Since the prehistoric era, the origin of Arisu(Hangang) has been Namhangang(River), which originates from the steep Taebaek mountain range, and Bukhangang(River), which originates 130 km from Geumgangsan(Mt.). Namhangang and Bukhangang meet at Yangsu-ri and pass through Godeuksan and Achasan Valley as a large river to spread the grandness of nature in Gwangnaru. Gangdong, which is blessed with a strategic position and every requirement of human life, experienced the bloom of its shining prehistoric culture 6,000 years ago.
Our ancestors from the Gojoseon Dynasty period went down and built the Pungnaptoseong(Pungnap Earthen Fortress) as they founded a country, the Baekjae Dynasty, in the Gangdong area, in the northern part of a castle, a strategic village that was the origin of the 350-year history of Hanam Wiraeseong(Castle).
During the period of the Three States, the areas in the vicinity of Hangang(River) became the arena of competition. They were ruled by Jangsuwnag of the Goguryeo Dynasty (475 AD) for 60 years, recovered by Sungwang of Baekjae (551 AD), and occupied again by Jinheungwang two years later (557 AD), which he added to his official territory by establishing the Bukhansanjuto evaluate it as a strategic point for his northward policy, which aimed mainly for the unification of three nations.
The name of this area was changed to Gwangjumok in 983 AD in the 2nd year of the reign of Seongjong of the Goryeo Dynasty with appointing a governor over it. Seongjong ruled the area by appointing a governor over it. The area was upgraded to Gwangjubu with the establishment of 23 districts therein in 1577, during the reign of Seonjo of the Joseon Dynasty. In 1623, Injoupgraded the rank of the Governor so that he could protect the area from the southern advance of the Manchurian. In 1636, during Byeongjahoran(the war against the Chinese empire), the area was appointed as the Dynasty's temporary capital city.
Its name was changed to Gwangju-gun during the Gabo Reform in 1895, with the complete change of the regime. Gucheon-myeon, which governed 10 districts, was named after a penname of famous retainer during Seongjong in Joseon dynasty, Gwicheoneohyodam.